Guidance and support
CompSAT is here to help you fully utilize the California ECE Competencies. You will engage in reflection and authentic self-assessment as part of the fabric of your daily practice with children and families, thus enriching and enhancing your work.
CompSAT offers you guidance and support through 12 modules, each one named for one of the CA ECE Competencies. The modules address many of the issues and challenges that come with providing high quality early care and education. They provide you with choices for exploration, as you:
- reflect on who you are as an early childhood educator,
- explore how you want to grow in your unique role and environment, and
- assess your personal strengths and challenges.
You will also be provided with useful resources to design and build a portfolio that documents your learning journey.
Learn about the portfolio guide
Build on what you know
CompSAT starts with your perspective, and the everyday experiences and real-life stories that make you who you are as an early childhood educator. This personal approach — starting with where you are, and building on what you know — is grounded in evidence-based research and practice.
CompSAT does with adults the same things skilled early educators do with children, that is to:
- allow for each individual's uneven growth and development,
- promote the messiness of real learning,
- encourage creativity,
- actively engage individuals in self-discovery,
- respectfully challenge perspectives,
- foster inquiry, and
- thoughtfully scaffold learning.
In short, CompSAT helps close the gap between how early educators are taught to teach children, and how they are taught as adult learners.